Sinking Sourcing I/O

Sinking Sourcing I/O

“Sinking” and “Sourcing” terms are very important in connecting a PLC
correctly with external environment. These terms are applied only for DC
modules.
The most brief definition of these two concepts would be:
SINKING = Common GND line (-)
SOURCING = Common VCC line (+)
Most commonly used DC module options in PLCs are:
*Sinking input and
*Sourcing output module




  • Sinking I/O circuits on the I/O modules receive (sink) current from sourcing field devices. Sinking output modules used for interfacing with electronic equipment.
  • Sourcing I/O: Sourcing output modules used for interfacing with solenoids.
PLC AC I/O circuits accommodate either sinking or sourcing field devices. Solid-state DC I/O circuits require that they used in a specific sinking or sourcing circuit depending on the internal circuitry.
PLC contact (relay) output circuits AC or DC accommodate either sinking or sourcing field devices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Industrial Safety Systems

PROFIBUS

Programmable Automation Controller (PAC)